Sunday, October 22, 2017

The Greatest Dream of All

The Greatest Dream of All

by Joely A. Serino

Coursing through my veins
Deep in my bones,
Ingrained in my brains.
In the heart I contain.
It's the woman I am.
Every single gram.
Every cell in my body.
The qualities I embody.
Says that I am a teacher,
a preacher,
a reacher of the youth.
A job like no other.
I only speak the truth.
Fourteen years, four months,
six days, and a minute.
I stand here before you 
full of passion and grit.
My students are "my kids,"
Teacher proud everyday.
I lead them through life
in my extra special way.
Every day I pray 
that their names will one day
Be up in lights,
Maybe write
that next screenplay,
Be a doctor of x-rays,
Become a chef du gourmet,
Or strut down that runway.
But the greatest dream of all
is to walk down that hall,
And see my student as the teacher,
The preacher, the reacher.
Because I had inspired,
And they had admired.
They would become my co-worker,
counterpart, colleague.
But forever and always
"My kid" they will be.

*This is dedicated to all of the students who have walked through my classroom in the past 16 years.  I hope you follow your heart and become the people I know you can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Figurative Language Frenzy"

                  This week is "Figurative Language Frenzy!"  I decided to dedicate all of my classroom lessons toward figura...